Trump: "I inherited a mess"
Trump press conference Feb 16 2017 highlights:
- Names Alex Acosta as Labor Secretary nominee
- It's very important for me to unify the country
- "I inherited a huge disaster"
- I'm going to rebuild the military, it won't be depleted for long
- We have to have a strong military and strong law enforcement as well
- We're searching for peace through strength
- The media is "out of control" and will take message "straight to the people"
- "This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine"
- The Democrats have screwed things up royally
- "Drugs are becoming cheaper than candy bars" we're not going to let it happen anymore
- Will issue new executive orders next week to protect the country
- Every country takes advantage of us, almost. I might be able to find a few countries who don't but it would be a tough job
- Some very big things will be announced next week
- Flynn withheld information from Pence
- Flynn says he couldn't remember details of call, that wasn't acceptable to me
- "The press should be ashamed of themselves"
- Repeats that he owns nothing in Russia, I have no deals or loans there
- Categorically denies reports regarding Russia
- I don't want confidential information getting out
- He's called in the DOJ to look into the leaks
- "The leaks are real, the news is fake"
- There's no one I have more respect for than reporters, good ones
This stuff is must-see-TV.
The late-night TV gold from this one was Trump saying he had the greatest electoral college victory. A reporter called him out with Obama's numbers. Then Trump countered by saying it was greatest victory by a Republican. When the reporter told him George HW Bush had a much bigger margin he said "I don't know that information was given to me."